Zecwallet's family of products have seen regular maintenance, bug-fix and security releases for over a year, thanks to a previously funded grant that supported Zecwallet's operating costs. This is a continuation grant is intended to cover ongoing maintenance (bugfixes, security releases and cloud computing costs) for Zecwallet's family of products for 3 months, from Nov 2020 to Jan 2021.
This grant supports the maintenance and continued releases of Zecwallet's family of products, which consist of:
- Zecwallet FullNode
- Zecwallet Lightclient and Zecwallet Lightclient Library/CLI
- Zecwallet Android Companion App
- Zecwallet Lite iOS
- Zecwallet Lite Android
- Wormhole Service for Zecwallet Companion Apps
- LightwalletD service for Zecwallet lightclients
It covers all updates and maintenance, including:
- Bugfixes and other minor feature requests
- Security fixes
- App store fees
- Keeping up with upstream Zcash protocol changes and zcashd releases
- AWS server hosting costs for Wormhole service for companion apps
- AWS server hosting costs for LightwalletD service for Companion Apps.
The funding covers 3 months from Nov 2020 to Jan 2021. The plan is to switch over to funding via MGRC grants, but since that process is not available yet, this funding request covers maintenance for the next 3 months, giving Zecwallet enough time to transition.
The maintenance costs are: $7500 / month, broken down as:
- $6000: Development and code maintenance costs for Zecwallet's family of products
- 4 days / month in development costs
- ~ $500: AWS
- 4x AWS large instances (across 2 regions) for zcashd and lightwalletD (primary + backup) and wormhole service
- 1x AWS t2.small instance for load balancing, website and other static hosting
- AWS bandwidth costs (approx 35GB / month)
- ~$500: Devops, build integration and testing
- Devops costs for build machines for running official builds and tests for zecwallet-light-cli, Zecwallet Fullnode, Zecwallet Lite desktop, Zecwallet iOS and Android apps.
- Monitoring infra for LightwalletD and ZCash uptime for Prometheus / Grafana
The Zecwallet family of products will be fully supported and maintained, along with the Wormhole service and LightwalletD service for mobile and light clients.